Skip to main content

Let's Shop Small Business! #National Small Business Week

National Small Business Week is April 30th-May 6th, so in honor of this week, I wanted to highlight a few of my favorite small businesses in my area.  I am blessed to live in a rural community that is full of people wanting to better our little town.  I live in Quanah, Texas, located about 90 miles east of Wichita Falls, on Highway 287.  In our little town, we have entrepreneurs that see the importance of bringing businesses and travelers to our area. Ladies, who doesn't like to shop???  I know I do, which is why I'm proud that Quanah boasts two wonderful dress shops that provide the latest fashions we are all looking for.
Rustics and Rhinestones is located directly on Hwy 287 across from the Best Western hotel, making shopping convenient for travelers on the main road.  Owner, Joycelyn Smith, has clothing, home decor, baby items, Junk Gypsy paint, furniture, Tyler Candles and much, much more.


Image may contain: shoes
Image may contain: one or more people
Image may contain: people sitting, table and indoor
                                                                    Photos Courtesy of Rustics and Rhinestones
Check out the Rustics and Rhinestones Facebook page to keep up with the amazing new inventory and sales!
Image may contain: 1 person, standing
Photo Courtesy of The Tumbleweed

A little more off the beaten path is The Tumbleweed, located in downtown Quanah, on 3rd Street, west of the courthouse.  Keeping our downtown area busy and proud, it is always a "go to" for style and western wear for both men and ladies.  Along with the fabulous clothing, The Tumbleweed offers items for bridal selections, Brighton jewelry, belts and custom t-shirts.  Follow Jodi, Vicky and Kylene on their Facebook page at The Tumbleweed  for the latest in fun and cool styles, like this fringe skirt  I wore to a book signing event this weekend.  I paired it with a pair of Old Gringo boots for a touch of western flare (you can't see them, but they were oh so cute).  

Image may contain: hat
Lane Frost caps-Photo courtesy of The Tumbleweed

Image may contain: 1 person, standing
Big Chief Shirt, Gold Velvet Pants and Leopard Kimono -Photo Courtesy of The Tumbleweed 
Please check out these two wonderful stores if you are passing through our town.  You can be sure you will be met with warmth and southern hospitality!

Speaking of southern hospitality, you can quench your thirst and cure your hunger after shopping Quanah at one of the many wonderful eating establishments.  Enjoy food from the historic Medicine Mound Depot Restaurant, Dutch's Restaurant, Sister's Cafe, or our newest restaurant, Cafe Blackbird.


Image may contain: indoor
Photo Courtesy of the Cafe Blackbird

Cafe Blackbird is absolutely amazing inside with an equally amazing menu.  I was so excited to see a sandwich shop brought to Quanah.  What a fun atmosphere, providing a menu of gourmet sandwiches, fresh salads, soups and made from scratch desserts.  Don't the pictures alone make your stomach growl?

Image may contain: food Image may contain: food Image may contain: food
Photos Courtesy of Cafe Blackbird

Find Cafe Blackbird on Facebook to see more of their delicious dishes, and stop on by next time you are passing through!  

There are many more small businesses in our little town that I didn't get to today, so rest assured a visit to Quanah, Texas, would be worth your while!  Most of all, no matter where you are, be sure to shop and support small businesses.  See you soon!

Blessings,
Julie Barker

#NationalSmallBusinessWeek    #shopsmalltowns  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hitchin' Post and the 6Bs' Tornado Twistin' 4th of July Celebration excerpt - Happy 4th of July!

  As the crowd looked on at the cheering cowboys, the fireworks began to light up the sky. A fiddler started playing the "Star Spangled Banner", and everyone turned to watch Old Glory fly. "I'm getting goosebumps again," said a soft voice and the brothers turned and looked at Mitch. He was holding his arm up but watching the flag, and he put his other arm around Hitch. Hitch would never forget that moment at the 6Bs' standing with his brothers and filled with joy. He was so proud to be an American, but more than that, proud to be a cowboy. excerpt from Hitchin' Post and the 6B's Tornado Twistin' 4th of July Celebration Copyright 2018 #4thofJuly  #IndependenceDay

Happy 4th of July!

I hope that everyone had a wonderful day full of fun and celebration on the 4th. My family certainly did. The fireworks that we watched with our family and friends in our community were amazing as usual. I love the kids faces as each firework bursts. My little Bowen was absolutely stunned when they first started, but shortly after, he got used to the noise and began falling to the ground with each pop pretending like he'd been shot. Needless to say I would catch myself watching this funny little scene more than watching the gorgeous display in the sky!  I love this time of year and I am so proud to be an American, which is one of the reasons I chose the 4th of July as the center of my next Hitchin' Post book.  Now obviously I'm not a marketing or business major or otherwise I would've had this book hot off the press and ready to purchase with a huge marketing campaign leading up to the 4th! But....I'm not.  I do however, think this is one that the ki

Meet Some of Hitchin' Post's Family!

" His brothers were all here, Gene, Donny, Tommy and Tim - the one a head taller than Hitch. Then stepping through the crowd with his 10-gallon hat, was the youngest little brother named Mitch." I am excited to say that the follow-up to Hitchin' Post, is almost complete, therefore I wanted to give you a little snippet of what's to come!  In this next book, we get to meet a few of Hitch's family members.  He has five brothers that have come to visit, and Hitch is so excited!  They get to experience working alongside their brother on his beloved 6Bs Ranch, and get to attend the biggest celebration of the year - the 6Bs 4th of July Rodeo!  Get ready for some rodeo fun and celebration as we head back to the 6Bs Ranch.   I am so glad that my mom, Carolyn Altman, will continue on this journey with me as my illustrator. She and I have enjoyed writing, drawing and creating Hitchin' Post and the other characters, as well as sharing how we feel about our Texa